Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Don't Step On My Grave !

     The days are getting longer, the weather warmer, it's time for gallivanting through the graveyard.

     My maternal grandmother's grandfather's family (on her father's side) was from Ulster County,NY.  My great-great-great-grandfather, William H. Davis was born 1832 in Milton,NY and his future wife, Emily Martin was born 1836 in the neighboring town of Lloyd.  I don't know when or where they met and married but according to the 1860 census they were living nearby in Marlborough with their three children. Their son, Daniel J. Davis grew up, moved to Ohio and eventually returned to NY. Daniel and family settled in Dutchess County (town of Poughkeepsie) where they lived for the rest of their lives. Daniel's children moved away for a short time but then moved back to Poughkeepsie.  I already have all the names/dates of my ancestors (Daniel & family) who are buried in the Poughkeepsie Rural Cemetery.  My research there is done except for a return visit to take pictures.  One of these days I need to explore the cemeteries in Milton, Lloyd and Marlborough.
     Last Saturday was a pleasant, sunny day.  A perfect day for visiting cemeteries.  Since I had not yet found my ancestors cemeteries in Ulster County, I decided to visit the cemetery of a friend's ancestor.  Kathryn lives in Massachusetts but has ancestors buried in Sylvan Cemetery, a small, quaint cemetery located in Wurtsboro,NY.  I had promised to visit the cemetery and take pictures for her.  I found the Civil War Lieutenant's grave fairly quickly.  Joseph Roesch's headstone has his name and wife Rachel's on one side and the names of...  (their children?) on the other side (of the same stone, I had never seen that before).  There are smaller stones on the ground with just a first name on each (same names that were on the other side of Joseph & Rachel's headstone).  Charles and Addie share a headstone with an infant.  It's so sad to see the tombstone of a child.

     Joseph Roesch's family story is told in Kathryn Smith Lockhard's wonderful book, Forever Lacedhttp://www.woodenshipsironmen.com/ForeverLaced.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment