Sunday, March 3, 2019

Family Photo?

#52Ancestors

     For week 8 of the 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks writing challenge the topic is "Family Photo."  I looked through the photo album of old black/white photos that had belonged to my grandmother and great-grandmother looking for a family photo that I could possibly use to tell a story.
    The photo I chose is one of a man who I was always fascinated with when I was a child looking at old photos with my grandmother.  She told me that he was an Indian (Native American) and her grandfather.  I know now that he wasn't her grandfather or great-grandfather but I don't think she ever told me how many greats.  I was told that this photo is a copy from a tintype photo.  My grandmother died a week after my 14th birthday and long before I became interested in genealogy.  There is nobody alive to ask any questions about ancestors from way back when so I'm on my own.
     This mystery man is not a grandfather on my grandmother's maternal side.  My grandmother's mother, Josie was born in upstate NY.  Josie's mother, Teresa was also born in upstate NY but her parents were from Ireland.  Josie's father, Steven was from Austria.  My grandmother's maiden name was Davis.  I have traced the Davis men back to Charles Davis, my 4th great-grandfather who was born in  NY in 1800.  I don't have a photo of Charles who died in 1850 but I don't think this mystery man is him.  I have photos of his son, grandson, great-grandson, etc … down to my great-grandfather, Samuel (Josie's husband).  If this man is truly an ancestor, a grandfather, great-grandfather, etc... then he might be the father or grandfather to one of the Davis wives if not then I have no idea who he was.
     Mystery Man will probably remain a mystery.

I made a copy of the photo but it looks a bit dark so someone in one of my genealogy groups on Facebook was kind enough to lighten it for me. I do not think this man is Native American.


                                     
.


Copyright 2019 by Annmarie Novick, Skipping Down Memory Lane. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment