Sunday, March 24, 2019

"12"

#52Ancestors
                                                                                                             
                     

     The topic for week 12 of the 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks writing challenge is "12."  What can I do with the number 12?  What can I possible write about?  Can I find an ancestor with '12' children, an event that occurred in December, the 12th month of the year, or maybe an interesting 12 year old?  I looked over my tree, glanced at the pedigree chart to see who I can focus on for week 12 and I've got it.
     I wrote about the Davis family for week 11.  This was my favorite grandmother's father's family.  Week 12 will be about her mother's family.  I've got a 12 year old, as well as two births, a marriage, and two deaths in the month of December.
     When I first looked for my grandmother in the 1930 federal census, I expected to find a 10 year old girl living with her parents and two younger brothers. Instead, I found my maternal grandmother, Eleanor Davis was a 12 year old living with her maternal grandmother, Teresa (Devine) Duper and two uncles, Steven and Gerald Duper.  Eleanor's mother was Josephine Duper.  Josie was born 11 December 1894 and married Samuel Davis 18 December 1916.  Josie's granddaughter, Carol, Eleanor's youngest daughter, was born on Josie and Samuel's anniversary in 1949. Just a few years later, on New Year's Eve in 1955, Eleanor's grandmother, Teresa and Teresa's youngest son, Gerald, died tragically in a fire in their apartment, a month before they were planning to move.
     December, the 12th month of the year had us celebrating new life and love but also mourning the deaths of our loved ones.  Rest in Peace to my beautiful grandmother, Eleanor and the rest of her family in Heaven.

                                                      






Copyright 2019 by Annmarie Novick, Skipping Down Memory Lane. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment