Sunday, March 17, 2013

In Search of the Irish

     I had hoped to find my Irish ancestors by today which is St. Patrick's Day.

     Patrick Devine and Emily Sheldon were my 3rd great-grandparents on my maternal grandmother's mother's side.  They emigrated from Ireland in the early-mid 1850's.  I know absolutely nothing about Patrick and I think I located Emily in the 1900 census.  The Emily I found was a divorced woman living with her 17 year old son, William in Esopus, NY.  I didn't find any other Emily nearby who could possibly be my Emily.  Patrick's brother, John was married to Mary.  I found Mary and their daughter, Anna in censuses but no idea where John was.  It seems the Devine men had disappeared.  Mary and Anna lived in Rifton which is about 6 1/2 miles west of Esopus and are buried in St. Peter's Cemetery located about 5 miles west in Rosendale.  I had called the cemetery to inquire about Patrick and Emily because I knew that Mary and Anna were buried there and I thought well...  maybe...      The cemetery didn't have much information but they were able to tell me the plot number.
     I found a tall tombstone with the names Patrick Devine and wife Emily on one side and their son William's name was on the other.  William died at the age of 20 in 1903 so I guess his parents had their names engraved when they bought this at the time of their son's burial.  That doesn't make sense though because the Emily that I found in the 1900 census was divorced and her son didn't die until 1903.
     I called the cemetery again.  I found what I thought was their final resting place but they are not there.  William is there by himself.  I have no idea where his parents are.
     I've always wanted to visit Ireland but I don't want to take the trip without knowing what county my 3rd great-grandparents were from.
     One of these days I'll do it.  I'll kiss the Blarney Stone, visit a few pubs and look for four leaf clovers.  If I visit the birthplaces of Patrick Devine and Emily Sheldon maybe I'll meet a leprechaun along the way who will laugh at me if I search for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

                                            HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY

                                



    

No comments:

Post a Comment