Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Searching Cemeteries...

     It seems like I've hit a brick wall with my maternal grandmother's father's side of the family.  I've almost accepted the brick wall on her mother's side but not quite.  I've put that on hold for now.
     My maternal grandmother's side, Davis family came from Ulster county, NY.  My grandmother was Eleanor F. Davis, her father Samuel G. Davis, his father was Daniel J. Davis and then there's Daniel's father, William H. Davis; my great-great-great-grandfather.
     William H. Davis was born in Milton,NY.  According to the 1850 census, at the age of 18, he resided with his sister and brother-in-law in Marlborough,NY. The 1860,70, and 80 censuses have William Davis living with his wife, Emily and their children in Marlborough.  The 1890 census was destroyed by fire (what remains is of no use to me) and I haven't found either William or Emily in the 1910 or 1920 censuses.  I lost them after 1880 but hope to find them in a cemetery.
     Tomorrow I will start searching the cemeteries.  If I find William and Emily's graves then I'll have the dates of  death and can order death certificates.  From the death certificates I'll find out who William and Emily's parents were and add more branches to my tree.

I just went online and looked up Marlborough,NY.   -just learned that Milton is a 'hamlet' in the Town of  Marlborough

No comments:

Post a Comment