Monday, May 23, 2011

Breaking Down Brick Walls

  chipping away at the Davis brick wall...

      I called the United Methodist Church located in Milton,NY and spoke to a very nice reverand.  He was new to the area and this church.  He was unfamiliar with the cemetery that sits next to this church but said that he would try to get more information and call me back.  I asked if there are any other cemeteries in Milton (I already have the names of cemeteries in Marlborough) and was told that this is the only one.
     Milton is where my great-great-great-grandfather, William Davis was born.  Milton is a hamlet of Marlborough.  William and his wife, Emily lived in Milton and Marlborough for decades (according to U.S. Federal Censuses) so I'm hoping that they're buried somewhere local.
     I've started researching William and Emily's children with the hope that I'll find out where their parents spent their final days and where they are buried.  Daniel was my great-great-grandfather (my maternal grandmother's grandfather on her father's side).  Daniel is buried in the Poughkeepsie Rural Cemetery, Poughkeepsie,NY.  I recently discovered that Daniel's younger brother, Melville lived in Poughkeepsie,NY according to the 1910 and 1930 censuses that I read on on Ancestry . com.  I don't know why I didn't see the 1920 census, maybe it was late and I was tired.  I'll look again.
     I called the Poughkeepsie Rural Cemetery and spoke to a very helpful woman who informed me that there are three Melvilles buried in this cemetery.  Melville Croft Davis was born 1876 and died 1946.  His son, Melville Clifford Davis and grandson, Melville Clifford Jr are also buried there.  They are in a different part of the cemetery, not the same plot as Daniel Davis and family.  I was so excited to find my great-great-grandfather's brother that I never asked the nice woman about anyone else buried there.  I guess she thought I was only interested in the name 'Melville Davis' but I was caught off guard with the discovery of 'three' Melvilles that I simply forgot to ask about other Davis'.  I'll call back.  After I hung up the phone, I looked through my notes and found another brother named Ferris who died in Poughkeepsie.  What I found wasn't actually an obituary but more like a cemetery listing and stated that Feris Davis died in Poughkeepsie,NY.  It also mentioned his wife and New Paltz Rural Cemetery.  I called the cemetery and was told that there is a Ferris Davis buried there along with three other Davis' (other three died at a young age).  The woman gave me a birth and death date for Ferris but it didn't sound right.  I asked if there were any other Ferris Davis' and was told that there are not.   hmmmm...  I'll have to look into that...
     Well, at least I found Melville Davis,   that's another brick knocked down... 
              will just keep chipping at that wall until.....

No comments:

Post a Comment