Friday, May 13, 2011

Meandering thru Milton

I had this written and ready to put on the computer yesterday but Blogger had maintenance issues, so here I am now.

     Wednesday started out cool and a bit overcast but certainly a fine enough day to visit cemeteries.  I never made it.
     I already had a photocopy of the Ulster county map showing Milton, Lloyd and Marlboro which are hamlets of Marlborough.  I highlighted the cemeteries on that map.  Milton is where William H. Davis, my great-great-great-grandfather was born.  His wife, Emily was from Lloyd.  The 1860,70, and 80 censuses show William and Emily living in Marlborough with the post office of Milton.
     I had the names and telephone numbers of four cemeteries.  I called two with no luck and couldn't reach the other two.  Before embarking on this ancestral adventure I checked the computer again. I went to Find a Grave.com  >  http://www.findagrave.com/  and found a lot more cemeteries.  Some of these cemeteries are very, very old and small.  I doubt that my great-great-great-grandparents are buried thee.  I'll save those small, old cemeteries for last.
     I checked the 1910 census again on Ancestry.com and found a William and Emily Davis in Marlborough.  They are listed by themselves, their children are grown and on their own.  I think these are my great-great-great-grandparents and don't know why I didn't notice them the other day when I checked the 1910 census.
     I called the Lloyd Cemetery to inquire about any 'Martins' who might be buried there.  Emily's maiden name was Martin.  I spoke to a very kind man named John who gave me 24 names.  I don't know if any of the Martins buried in this cemetery are my ancestors.  I asked John if there are any other cemeteries in Lloyd and he told me that this is the only one.
     Once I find the graves of William and Emily Davis, I can order their death certificates to get their parents names.  I'll find out if Emily's parents are buried in Lloyd Cemetery.  As of right now, Emily's parents are just Mt and Mrs Martin.  I hope to get their first names in the near future, along with the names of her in-laws, Mr and Mrs Davis.
     If the weather cooperates, I'll go meandering thru Milton this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment