Sunday, March 20, 2011

Little Girl

     Today is the first day of spring.  The birds were chirping this morning and I saw quite a few Blue Jays out and about.  The days are getting longer, the sun is shining, and soon the trees and flowers will be in bloom.
     Green is the color of spring and my son's favorite color.  Gregory just turned 4 in January but little Dorothy never saw her 4th birthday.  She never got to run through the green grass, pick flowers or enjoy the sunshine when spring finally arrived in 1927.
      Who was this little angel who left earth too soon?
     Dorothy Davis was my maternal grandmother Eleanor's younger sister.  Their mother, my great-grandmother, Josephine was a deaf-mute.  According to my grandmother's cousin, Geraldine, little Dorothy was standing too close to the gas hot water heater which was lit.  Her clothing caught fire and her mother never heard her screams.  By the time her mother found her, she was so severely burnt that she did not survive.

     Dorothy Davis died in January of 1927 at the age of 3.  

R.I.P. little angel

No comments:

Post a Comment