Wednesday, March 16, 2011

~ ANNA ~

     March is Women's History Month so I'll be focusing on my female ancestors for the rest of this month starting with my maternal grandmother's mother's side.  I would have started this blog on March 1st but had forgotten that it's Women's History Month.  ooops...

     My maternal great-great grandmother's cousin, Anna Devine was born during a blizzard  (The Great Blizzard of 1888) on 11 March 1888 in Rifton,NY. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Blizzard_of_1888
Anna graduated New Paltz Teacher's College located in New Paltz, NY in 1911 then taught in the Rock School -a one room schoolhouse- in Rifton,NY for the next 43 years.  She taught for another five years in the school named in her honor (located on the grounds of the Rock School).  Besides teaching, Anna also started a 4-H club and drum corps.  Before retiring in 1959, Anna Devine's students wrote and published a book 'Rifton, Our Past and Present' in 1953.  I am lucky to own that book which had belonged to my grandmother.

         Anna Devine died 15 May 1972.   R.I.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment