Sunday, March 8, 2020

~ Long Ago & Far Away ~

The topic for Week 5 of the 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks writing challenge was 'So Far Away' and I had planned on writing about my 3rd great-grandfather, Patrick and his life.  Instead of writing about a person this time, I choose to write about a place.
     Long ago and far away, in a land of rolling green hills, lived a boy named Patrick who dreamed of better days in a new country.
     I have always been fascinated with Ireland, the land of my ancestors.  I used to sit and watch the St Patrick's Day parade with my grandmother and wish I could visit someday.  My grandmother died many years before I became interested in genealogy so I never asked about our family or who exactly were the Irish family members.
     From my 2nd great-grandmother, Teresa's death certificate and baptismal certificate, I learned the names of her parents.  It took thorough research and patience to discover that my 3rd great-grandfather, Patrick Devine was born about 1838 in Swinford, County Mayo, Ireland.  He immigrated to the United States in 1853 and I think I have a date of death but haven't confirmed it yet.  I still have not found the county of birth for Patrick's 2nd wife, my 3rd great-grandmother, Emily but I haven't given up.
     My mother visited Ireland a few years ago with a tour group but didn't visit County Mayo.  I hope to visit soon.  I cannot wait to visit the land of my ancestors from long ago and far away.


                                                 

                                    


















Copyright 2020 by Annmarie Novick, Skipping Down Memory Lane. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment