Sunday, May 5, 2019

Who am I?

        

                                                               
still late with these writing assignments....

     For week 15 of the 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks writing challenge, the topic was "DNA."  Maybe tardiness is in my DNA because this story is late.
     I had always known that I had German and Irish ancestors and never really had a desire to take a DNA test.  I bought my mother a DNA kit a few years ago as a Christmas gift.  She is mostly Irish which is no surprise since her 2nd great-grandparents emigrated from Ireland in the 1840's. My mother's results state 24% Ireland and Scotland and 25% England, Wales, & Northwest Europe. I had read somewhere that 'Davis' is a Welsh name so maybe her Davis ancestors were from Wales.  I finally bought myself a kit when Ancestry.com had a super sale at Thanksgiving time.  I submitted my saliva sample and eagerly awaited the results.
     Who am I?  What am I made up of?  I know about the Germans and Irish but what else do I have thrown in the mix?  Where are my people from?  Days turned into weeks then finally...   the email  I'd been waiting for...   the DNA results are in...
     I'd been stalking my 3rd great-grandparents, Patrick Devine and Emily Sheldon for years.  I focused mainly on Emily because I had found out that Patrick was from County Mayo in Ireland but no idea what county Emily emigrated from.  I needed to find her date and place of death so I could order her death certificate and hope the informant supplied more than country of birth.
    So, how Irish am I?  St. Patrick's Day is my favorite holiday.  I love watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and hope to visit the Emerald Isle one day.  I was so excited!!!
     I cannot believe this!  Only 3%? ? ? ?  My mother is 24% Irish and all I got was 3.  I have 54% German which I guess isn't too bad.  There are beautiful castles in Germany I would like to visit.


                GERMANY!                                                            not much Irish here....
      
                                             





My mother stealing all the Irish from me...     :)






Copyright 2019 by Annmarie Novick, Skipping Down Memory Lane. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment