Saturday, May 4, 2019

- - Braught family Brick Wall - -

                                                  
                                                               BRAUGHT family

     Yes,  I'm late again....

      For week 14 of the 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks writing challenge the theme was "Brick Wall."  I'm always writing about my maternal grandmother, Eleanor Davis.  She was the first born child of Samuel George Davis and Josephine Agnes Duper.  Samuel's parents were Daniel Davis and Flora Braught.  I had already written about the Davis family but I had not written about the Braughts and put them on hold because I didn't have much information.  I would consider the Braught family to be my brick wall.
     My 2nd great-grandmother, Flora Helen Braught was born March 4, 1863 in Ohio.  Her parents were Samuel C Braught and Eleanor J Clark.  The 1870 federal census has 7 year old Flora listed as  'deaf & dumb' and living with her 39 year old mother Eleanor, a widow who worked as a domestic servant. By 1880, 17 year old Flora was still living with her mother who had remarried since the last census but her husband is not with them.  I don't know where Eleanor's husband was but she had Flora and her 23 year old son living with her.  In 1870, Flora's older brother would have been 13 year old and I have no idea where he was living.
     I learned from the 1870 and 1880 censuses that Flora was born in Ohio.  Her mother, Eleanor and Eleanor's parents were born in Vermont.  Her father and older brother were born in New York. I did not find my 3rd great-grandparents, Samuel and Eleanor in the 1860 federal census.  I found a Samuel Braught with wife Jane and some children in the 1850 census.  Eleanor's middle name was Jane. I have found many censuses that have the person's middle name listed instead of the first. Are these my people? If so, at some point, Samuel and Eleanor moved to Ohio where their youngest child, Flora was born.  I wonder if she was born in Fulton County because that is where she lived in 1870 and 1880. I wonder if the children on the 1850 census stayed behind in New York or accompanied their parents if their parents are indeed my 3rd great-grandparents, Samuel and Eleanor.
     In March of 1864, Samuel C Braught enlisted in the Army and three months later died in a field hospital in Tennessee.  His death was not caused by battle wounds but instead he died of acute meningitis on 22 June 1864.  He is buried in the Chattanooga National Cemetery.  I have no idea when or where Eleanor died.  I also do not know if the family in the 1850 census is mine and if so then I have no information about the children.  I only have the dates of death for Flora, her brother, and their father.


                                                   

                                Flora                                                       Samuel
                                                     

                                                       BRAUGHT Brick Wall
                                  
                                                                      R.I.P.



Copyright 2019 by Annmarie Novick, Skipping Down Memory Lane. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment