Sunday, February 10, 2019

At the Library

#52Ancestors


     I'm a week behind schedule due to my son not feeling well.  This is for week 5 of the 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks writing challenge and this week's prompt is "At the Library."
     When I first started this hobby of genealogy there was no internet or if I remember correctly then it might have still been very new but I didn't have a computer anyway.  I made plenty of visits to the local public library and checked out all the genealogy books they had.  I checked out two books at a time on these visits, read them thoroughly, took notes, then went back for more.  The library offers a wealth of information and resources including classes for those researching their ancestors.
     Once I finally dived into cyberspace and stalked my ancestors online, I was able to make great progress.  When I found out from census records that my great-grandmother, Josie attended a school for the deaf I wanted to learn more about that school.  When I looked up the name of the school online I found an article about a murder that took place in 1896 before Josie was a student.  This was a New York Times article and because I didn't subscribe I was unable to view.  That's okay because I had the Library of Congress at my fingertips.
     I found the website for the Library of Congress and searched old newspapers.  I followed the murder investigation through detailed articles I read and I'm thankful these newspapers are available for viewing.
     I've been helping a friend with her genealogy and need to visit the local library in this town that I've moved to.  The library here is amazing and I love their research room.
     I've told my son how important libraries are.  I told him that you can't always go on the internet and  'Google' everything.  Sometimes you need to step outside for a breath of fresh air and visit a library in person.

                                        Library of Congress
                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment