Monday, January 23, 2012

Em

     I find myself once again putting the Davis line on hold and going back to the Devines.  The Davises lived in Ulster county, NY and my last blog post had me chasing Charles.  I haven't caught him yet.  When I hit a brick wall with one name, I put that name on hold and move on to another.  I usually have more luck if I take a break from a particular name then come back to it refreshed and clear headed.
     I had written about Emily Devine when I first started blogging in March of last year.  Emily and her husband Patrick were my 3rd great-grandparents on my maternal grandmother's mother's side.  They were both born in Ireland and were living in New York in the mid 1800's.   don't know where Emily and Patrick met and married but according to my grandmother's cousin, they had five children born in NY.  MaMa's cousin, Geraldine told me (in a letter) that there was John, Joseph, Emily, Teresa, and William.
     Teresa Devine was my great-great grandmother.  Teresa's youngest brother, William is listed with their mother in the 1900 U.S. Federal Census.  The census shows a divorced Emily Devine, age 55, born in Ireland and living in Esopus,NY with her 18 year old son, William who was born in NY.  William died in January of 1901.  The 1905 NY State Census shows an Emily Devine living with the Terwilliger family in Esopus, NY.  I don't know if this is my Emily because it has her age as 55 which is the age on the 1900 census, five years earlier.  I know that the census information is not always accurate.  I have seen many misspelled names and incorrect birth dates.  The census, along with other records, is only as accurate as the informant providing the information.
   Why would I think that the Emily Devine living with the Terwilligers might be my Emily?  well....   because the 1900 U.S. federal Census for the Terwilligers shows Simon and Emma with their children Clarence and Theresa.  Emily Devine had a daughter named Teresa (my 2nd great-grandmother).  Maybe Emma named her daughter after her sister?  The 1905 state census has Simon and Emma with Clarence and Eva but Theresa is missing.  I found out from the 1910 U.S. Federal Census that Theresa had died.  One of the questions asked was how many children and how many living.  There were 3 children and 2 living.  I don't know where Emily Devine was in 1910.  Emily would have been 64 years old if she were alive in 1910.  Once again, if this is even my Emily.

     and the search continues...

No comments:

Post a Comment