Sunday, February 16, 2020

Generations of Patriotic Gentlemen

   
                                                
     The topic for Week 3 of the 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks writing challenge was 'Long Line' and I had absolutely no idea what to write about.  I was already behind schedule in my writing and wasted more time trying to figure out what to write then I was home with a sick child.  I left my writing notes at work but the longer I delayed writing the more research I did on Ancestry.com and I went back another generation.
     After giving this topic much thought and looking at the pedigree chart on Ancestry.com, I saw the long line of Davis men who served this country during the different wars throughout history.
     My maternal grandmother, Eleanor Davis, who I called MaMa, was married to a very patriotic man who served in WWII and the Korean War.  I remember standing with my grandmother watching my grandfather march proudly in the Veterans Day parades.  MaMa had three brothers who all served during WWII.  Two of her brothers were in the Army and her youngest brother, William (Uncle Billy), served in the Navy.  Uncle Billy served our country during WWII and the Korean War.  He went to college on the G.I. Bill and secured an excellent job as an engineer.
     My great-grandfather, Samuel George Davis, was 33 years old in 1918 when he registered for the draft for WWI but did not serve.  I love the WWI draft card records because it gives a physical description of the person with such details as height, and build (slender, medium, stout), hair and eye color and any physical condition which would disqualify such as loss or arm, leg, eyesight, etc.  Samuel was 57 years old when he registered for WWII draft in 1942.  If I don't have a photo of an ancestor then I can visualize what he looked like from the WWI draft card.  Samuel's father, Daniel was deaf and couldn't serve but his brother, Samuel's uncle Melville, registered for the draft in 1918.
     My 2nd great-grandfather, Daniel did not serve in any war due to hearing loss from the Scarlet Fever he had as a child.  Daniel's younger brother, Melville registered for the WWI draft at the age of 42 but he didn't serve.
     My 3rd great-grandfather, William H. Davis registered for the Civil War draft in June of 1863 at the age of 28 or 31 but did not serve.  His older brother, Isaac registered and served as well as three of his younger brothers.  William's younger brothers were David, Daniel, and Ferris.  Daniel Davis had deserted but then returned.  Daniel Davis was mustered into a New York regiment in August of 1862.  He was wounded at the Battle of Gettysburg in July 1863, captured at the Battle of James City in Virginia, and died at the Belle Isle POW Camp, Richmond, VA in January of 1864.  Ferris Davis was wounded at Chancellorsville.  It had been noted that he was disabled upon discharge from Army.
     My 4th great-grandfather, Charles L. Davis was born in 1800 and died in 1851.  He did not serve his country but his father and four of his sons did.
     My 5th great-grandfather, John Davis, at the age of 19, was a messenger from West Point, NY to Newburgh, NY in 1779 during the Revolutionary War.  He was in Captain John Hasbrouck's company in the third regiment of Ulster County, NY.
     From 1779 during the Revolutionary War until the Korean War in the early 1950s (1950-1953), my Davis ancestors proudly fought for their country.

                                                        God Bless America
                                                     
                                 













Copyright 2020 by Annmarie Novick, Skipping Down Memory Lane. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment